<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Americans as Survivors


A long time ago, I changed the background color of The Corpus Callosum to black, because I was upset about the involvement of the medical profession in interrogations at Gitmo and Abu Ghraib, and in Afghanistan. Now it is white, at least for now.  That does not mean that I have forgotten, nor do I wish to be complicit is denying the horrendous nature of what our country has done.

In a strange instance of irony, the two leading medical journals in the US have published articles on the same theme, and both are open-access articles: NEJM published Americans as Survivors by Robert Jay Lifton, M.D., and JAMA published Treatment of Complicated Grief by Katherine Shear, M.D., et.al.

In this post, I review the main findings of the clinical study published in JAMA, and one of the main points advanced in the NEJM essay.  I then wonder if there is any significance to the fact that these two articles were published at the same time, and both made available to the general public.  Continue reading here.