<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Reading Psychiatric News


Today's NYT contains an article about a study, originally published in Molecular Psychiatry.   The original study report  is here; the NYT article is here (permanent link).   Sometimes, when I see that something I know about has been reported in the newspaper, I wonder what it was about the topic that drew the attention of the reporter who wrote the news article.  After all, there are hundreds of medical journals, some are published every week.  Thus, there are thousands of journal articles to choose from.  Yet, only a few are deemed newsworthy. 

One would hope that reading the news article would answer the most important question: Why should I care about this?  After all, if I am going to take time away from reading blogs, and actually read a newspaper, I was to have some assurance that what I am reading is important. 

So let's give it a try, and see if this particular news article answers the question.  While we're at it, let's see if the study cited here has any other significance, perhaps something other that what the news reporter picked up on.  Read the rest at The Rest of the Story